Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Romanticism and Art


Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog - Caspar David Friedrich
Friedrich is trying to show us his lenses of the world(1). I think that this work of art is representative of the Romantic movement because it captures the idea of focusing on the individual to impact others and the essence of Romanticism –  "uncontrollable power, unpredictablity(2)". This man is standing on the peak of the mountain. His position on the peak invokes a feeling of awe and wonder. The man standing above all else is representative of power; the ability to overlook and see everything. I can draw a connection between this painting and this quote "I wandered lonely as a cloud that floats on high o'er vales and hills" from the poem I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud. I feel like this painting is a very accurate representation of this quote.

Sources:
(1)http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/his/CoreArt/art/rom_fri_wand.html
(2)http://potomacschool.libguides.com/romanticism

2 comments:

  1. Nice connection to Wordsworth--I'd love to hear more about why you think they're linked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete